Earlier this morning, we featured this pretty Valentine’s Day party that was styled by Sofia from BistrotChic. We are back with the DIY on how to make the great chocolate heart shaped cutout cupcakes above from bake4u.
Items Needed– Cupcake cup – Red Food Coloring – Silk Ribbons – Heart cookie cutter
Ingredients for the chocolate cupcake
- 1/2 cup (50 grams) Dutch-processed cocoa powder
- 1 cup (240 ml) boiling hot water
- 1 1/3 cups (175 grams) all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup (113 grams) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 cup (200 grams) granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
Directions for cupcakes
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Lightly butter, or line 16 muffin cups with paper liners.
In a small bowl stir the cocoa powder and boiling hot water until smooth. Let cool to room temperature.
In another bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt.
Then in the bowl of your electric mixer, or with a hand mixer, beat the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating until smooth. Scrape down the sides of the bowl as needed. Beat in the vanilla extract. Add the flour mixture and beat only until incorporated. Then add the cooled cocoa mixture and stir until smooth.
Fill each muffin cup about two-thirds full with batter and bake for about 16 – 20 minutes or until risen, springy to the touch, and a toothpick inserted into a cupcake comes out clean. (Do not overbake or the cupcakes will be dry.) Remove from oven and place on a wire rack to cool.
Ingredients for the buttercream icing
- 140g/5 oz butter, softened
- 280g/10 oz icing sugar
- 1-2 tbsp milk
- a few drops food coloring
Beat the butter in a large bowl until soft. Add half the icing sugar and beat until smooth.
Then add the remaining icing sugar with one tablespoon of the milk, adding more milk if necessary, until the mixture is smooth and creamy.
Add the food coloring and mix until well combined.
Directions for creating the cupcakes
1. Cut the top of the cupcakes with a serrated knife;
2. Center the heart-shaped cookie cutter over the cupcake top and press it down so it makes a clean cut. Keep the cookie heart so you can use it in other cakes;
3. Fill the cupcake with the pink buttercream;
4. Sprinkle powdered sugar over the cupcake tops and cover the cupcake. Decorate the cupcake with a ribbon knot on its base.